The Advantage Woman Savings Account is a savings account by ICICI Bank for women. I recently received a communication from the bank regarding some enhancements they made to the scheme. What caught my eye was their new #FundYourOwnWorth initiative which aims to “create a platform to recognise remarkable women”. Along with this, they were also enhancing their Advantage Woman Savings Account with offers on skill-building courses, health, wellness, etc.
These are some of the benefits they have added:
- Flat 25% off on certification courses from Manipal Prolearn
- A 25% rebate on image consultant’s fees and Rs. 10,000 off on normal course fees by Image Scope
- Flat 65% off on preventive health care packages from Thyrocare
- Flat 45% off on gym, yoga and other fitness activities from Growfitter
And so on. You can see the full list, here:
While these additions are good, they are not at a scale that promises to bring about the kind of change that they are encouraging through the #FundYourOwnWorth stories. These are stories of otherwise ordinary women who have overcome the challenges of life and have made a difference to society. I wished ICICI Bank had added offers that working women, students and women entrepreneurs could have found more useful. For example:
- A discount in loan rates for women who want to start a business
- A rebate on educational loans for post-graduate and professional courses
- Discount on a car/two-wheeler or a discount on loans for them. Mobility for women is a concern in today’s times when many women work late and public transport is neither safe nor reliable.
A bank like ICICI Bank can really make a difference at the ground level if they launch schemes that are innovative and path breaking. This is a good beginning but I hope they expand this idea in the future to bring about the change that is really needed.
Many banks offer special accounts for women. In case you are interested in such an account for yourself or someone you know, do check and compare the other options available. Some of them offer free insurance, others offer a higher rate of interest, and so on. Here are a few of them:
- Axis Women Savings Account
- Kotak Silk Savings Account
- HDFC Women’s Saving Account
- IDBI Bank SuperShakti Account
- South Indian Bank Mahila Plus Account
Image used is from http://www.fundyourownworth.com/